We are seeking to fill a new graduate mechanical engineering role.
The Applicant mechanical engineer should:
- Have a good technical understanding of basic engineering principles such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics
- Be self motivated and actively progress their own learning and development
- Have an ability to review and assimilate information
- Be comfortable working independently and in a small team environment
- Display good organisational and time management skills that will enable them to work on several projects at the same time. The successful candidate will undergo an informal programme of on the job training, close supervision and coaching. This will be supplemented with external training where appropriate.
The competencies that the candidate will be expected to achieve are as follows:
- Develop technical competencies so that they can specify equipment (valves, pumps, meters) for particular projects. This will involve carrying out head loss calculations for sizing both pipelines and equipment. It will also involve heat loss calculations for sizing steam boiler and/or thermal oil heaters.
- Develop designs to a point where the information can be detailed on drawings, both process and instrumentation, and general arrangement.
- Develop enquiry documents so that the suppliers can bid for products and services from individual items of equipment to overall projects. Bids will be evaluated.
- Develop an understanding of the legislation, guidance and codes of practice, that are relevant to the petroleum industry.
- Develop a familiarity with health and safety legislation and standards so that work on site can be supervised and permits issued.
- When the above basic requirements are understood move into a project management role. This will involve developing and meeting project budgets and schedule. There will be a greater emphasis on softer focus items such as people management and providing clear communication with various parties, including clients and contractors. Prior experience is not essential however the candidate should detail any previous industrial, commercial, or construction experience they have.
The salary will be commensurate with the role and responsibilities that are expected to be fulfilled.
The salary can be expected to develop in line with performance.
If interested email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.